Thursday, September 23, 2010

Sinners in the Hands of Angry Gods

This blog will be the first where I am expressing a real opinion. It is about a Puritan priest who talked about how angry God is at people if they sin at all. This forced the Puritans to not commit any sort of sin. Many of the English did not get accept this and that is why they went to England's new colonies.

This passage from one of Edwards' sermons is very odd from others views. It says that God is angry and has the power to kill you at any second. If you're not respecting God and committing sins, then God will kill you in an instant. That this God is an angry God that kills people if they do something that this priest says is "wrong."

While the Puritans deserved to be free of whatever religion they chose, but I can see how the English thought they were odd. They weren't allowed to enjoy the same fun as the English and they did not believe that God was helping them one way or another. It was also a completely different lifestyle they were living that was almost old fashioned for their time.

To me this seems ridiculous. He is ruling people by fear and religion is supposed to bring together not for fear, but for a sense of community. This man is saying that life should be restricted and more emphasis on your afterlife then when you are living. I would like to live my life having fun, rather then live it waiting to die. That is something worth thinking about though. Some cultures live, so that their afterlife will be good.

Live your life the best way you can and live to your standards.

2 comments:

  1. I like to live my life now rather then think about when I'm dead. So I agree with what you said. Any way why would you want to spend your afterlife with someone that hates you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree, and I think it's ridiculous, but I can also see where they were coming from. I mean, life on earth is pretty hard, just as a general rule of nature, and I can imagine that Heaven, this perfect, Godly place, would have sounded beautiful. Couldn't you kind of see that?

    ReplyDelete