Thursday, December 16, 2010

Music Review - Teen Dream

Teen Dream by Beach House was one of the most interesting albums I listened to all year. It took me a few listens to get into it, but it is an album that is very different from anything I've ever heard. The lead singer has a very strong, folky voice on top of clever rhythms and mixes of sound. The band even experiments in a song "Norway" with off-tune background music.

Other songs in the album such as "Zebra" and "10 Mile Stereo" exemplify their interesting guitar riffs. The layers of different guitar parts give the songs a unique feel.

This album is their most recent and is their third. It is by far their best of the three and exemplifies their creativity. It is definitely a good album for anyone who is looking for new music. However, it is an album that you really need to listen in order to get into it.

This band is truly idiosyncratic in their sound and while they may sound dull at first, they are very talented and should go far. 8/10 for both their brilliant mash ups of sound and their creativity.
(Go to the bottom of the page for a song from this album.)

1 comment:

  1. It took me a while to get into Teen Dream. I won't say that I disliked the album, but it didn't have anything that truly hooked me. When it would come on in the shuffle, I would listen for a bit then push the button for the next song. And then...one night, had my earphones in, trying to go to sleep and "Walk in the Park" came on, and I finally got it. Great album. "Real Love" is great as well.

    ReplyDelete