Sunday, October 24, 2010

The Moment I Knew I Was an American

The moment I knew I was an American was when I went to Mexico when I was three. I went to a culture that i found to be completely different from my own. That is when I thought that I had really realized who I was. I thought at the time how different my home was from the country I was visiting. The people were different, the atmosphere was different, and even the food was different. It made me really appreciate what I had come from and to take it into my own.

When I say I am an American, I feel connected to a combination of many different cultures. A place where not only one type of culture is accepted. Where people of many different cultures come here and express them in whatever way they want. This has given me a different perspective on me being part of America because I do not only celebrate its culture.

For me, growing up in America has been beneficial. I have learned so much about the world and its cultures and my own in comparison. Throughout my life being an American has helped me, has it helped you?

3 comments:

  1. I agree about the idea of being American being a combination of cultures. I feel like it's really hard to answer the question of "When did you know you were american?" because American seems to be such a general term.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes i concur with alaina stacy. Because its such a general term we cant have one solid definition to what an american is, because that view can change drastically from one person to the next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Casey and Alaina have a good point as we grow up in this whole "american scene" where we have the clothes of an American, Foods of an American, benefits, etc. But what about those who don't fit the multi-cultural lifestyle? Like those who live in homes where their original culture is exemplified more than the average American culture? Are they in turn, not American? Hmm...the things to make ye think. Lol.

    ReplyDelete